Where to Use Digital Labels' LED Indicator
Digital labels’ LED indicators can be utilized in various businesses from retail stores to hotels, hospitals, and distribution warehouse facilities.
While most people would think digital labels or electronic shelf labels (ESL) like SOLUM ESL are only used for price labeling and updating, that’s not all there is. Digital labels with advanced technology boast numerous features and capabilities that can impact various aspects of retail and business operations. One of these features is the LED indicator.
The LED indicator is a versatile addition to any digital label solution. When advanced LED indication features are utilized properly, businesses can have higher efficiency and a better shopping experience.
What is an LED indicator?
LED stands for "light-emitting diode". They are semiconductor devices that emit light when an electric current passes through them. Unlike traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs, LEDs are solid-state lighting sources, which means they do not rely on a heated filament or gas discharge to produce light.
Here are some key characteristics and features of LEDs:
- Efficiency: LEDs are highly energy-efficient, converting a significant portion of the electrical energy into visible light. They consume much less power compared to traditional lighting technologies.
- Instant Illumination: LEDs provide instant illumination when powered on, with no warm-up time required.
- Compact Size: LEDs are small and compact, making them suitable for various applications, such as indicator lights, display screens, and lighting fixtures.
- Color Variety: LEDs are available in various colors, and their color can be controlled precisely. This feature is useful for decorative lighting, displays, and indicator lights.
- Dimmability: Many LEDs can be dimmed to adjust their brightness. This provides flexibility in lighting control.
- Cooler Operation: LEDs produce very little heat compared to incandescent bulbs, which can help reduce cooling costs in some applications.
- Durability: LEDs are solid-state devices, which makes them more robust and resistant to shock and vibration compared to fragile incandescent bulbs.
- Longevity: LEDs have a long operational life, often lasting tens of thousands of hours. This extended lifespan reduces the need for frequent replacements.
- Environmental Benefits: LED lighting is environmentally friendly, and this is because it consumes less energy, contains no hazardous materials like mercury (unlike fluorescent bulbs), and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
LEDs are used in a wide range of applications, including general lighting, display screens, automotive lighting, street lighting, and, of course, indicator lights on electronic shelf labels. LED indicators are usually integrated into digital labels, where they can emit various lights that can be utilized for retail operations.
What are the functions of a digital label’s LED indicator?
LED indicators on digital labels can serve several important functions in various retail or business settings. With a programmable or configurable LED indication system, retailers and business owners can easily modify the LED indicators to fit their operations.
Here are the typical functions of an LED indicator:
- Price, Discount, and Sale Indication: The primary function of digital labels is to display the price of a product. However, LED indicators, can also help alert customers to various price, discount, or sale information. LED indicators can be used to highlight special promotions, discounts, or sales. Blinking or changing colors can draw attention to these offers and encourage purchases.
- Stock Status: ESLs with LED indicators can display stock status information. For example, they can show whether a product is in stock, out of stock, or low in stock. This information can help customers make informed purchasing decisions. It can also help staff when it comes to the replenishment process.
- Custom Marketing Messaging: Retailers can use LED indicators to convey custom messages or information to customers. For instance, they can use various lights from the LED to convey messages like "New Arrival," "Limited Time Offer," or "Recommended Product."
- Battery Status and Alerts: Some ESLs are battery-powered. LED indicators can also serve as battery indicators. If a specific digital label is low on battery and requires battery replacement, the LED can alert staff or customers.
- Product Location: LED indicators can help minimize confusion for customers or workers in your store or establishment. These LED lights can help indicate the location of specific products, stocks, or raw materials in various settings.
- Interactive Features: In some cases, digital labels with LED indicators may support interactive features like QR codes or NFC (near-field communication) technology. Customers can use their smartphones to interact with the labels, access additional product information, get discounts or special offers, or participate in loyalty programs.
Overall, LED indicators on ESLs play a crucial role in enhancing the shopping experience, improving inventory management, and ensuring accuracy in a lot of retail, business, and supply chain environments. Their versatility allows retailers to convey various types of information efficiently and effectively.
Of course, it’s also important to note that LED indicators can have even more functions and use cases than those listed above. The possibilities lie within retailers and business managers who can maximize the LED indication features and harness their potential to improve their operational efficiency.
Where can you use LED indicators for digital labels?
LED indicators of digital labels have potential in a wide array of workplace settings, retail environments, and business establishments. ESL users can take advantage of these LED indicators.
Here are a few examples of where digital labels’ LED indicators can be used:
Supermarkets, groceries, and convenience stores
ESLs with LED indicators bring a lot of advantages to supermarkets, groceries, convenience stores, and more. The LED lights can highlight discounted items, weekly specials, or promotions. They can also show whether a product is in stock or out of stock, reducing customer frustration. At the same time, LED indicators can be used for food allergy warnings to help keep shoppers informed and safe.
Retail stores and department stores
Retail stores and various department stores can also use digital labels with LED indicators to show new arrivals, current promotions, items on sale, and more. Retailers can also use these LED lights to convey brand messages or store-specific information. These LED indicators can also be used to take note of stock levels on each shelf, helping the staff know when it’s time for replenishment.
Hotels and restaurants
Digital labels with LED indicators in hotels can help staff manage guests and vacancies. Another way is that they can indicate which units are regular, family, luxury suites, and more. This can lead to efficient management and service for hotels.
Meanwhile, in restaurants, ESLs with LED indicators can help enhance the digital menu boards and buffet offerings. LED lights can help indicate which dishes are vegan, low-calorie options, low-cholesterol options, and more. They can also highlight daily specials or chefs’ recommendations. This can help restaurants deliver an engaging and safe dining experience.
Fashion stores and lifestyle brands
For fashion stores and lifestyle stores, digital labels with LEDs can also be an advantage. They can help show newly arrived or discounted clothing items, accessories, or lifestyle products. These LEDs can draw attention to seasonal sales, fashion trends, and more. They can also be programmed to indicate stock levels, which can help shoppers make informed purchases and help the staff be attuned to the needs or preferences of their customers.
Technology and electronic stores
Of course, technology and consumer electronics stores can take advantage of digital labels and their LEDs as well. LED indicators can help classify products (e.g., Apple products, Android phones, PC parts, accessories, and more), making it easier for customers to find what they’re looking for. At the same time, they can also be used for promotions and sales, like in other retail settings. LED indicators can also help mark technical specifications and features, helping customers make informed choices when buying consumer electronics.
Warehouses and distribution centers
LED indication features also enhance distribution centers, warehouses, and the like. ESLs with LED indicators can display real-time stock levels and location information when it comes to these kinds of environments. This aids warehouse staff in the picking and restocking processes.
Order fulfillment is also much better, as they can guide workers to the correct storage location for efficient order picking. In some cases, LED indicators can also notify staff of stock discrepancies or inventory issues.
Hospitals, drug stores, and pharmacies
While ESLs can display drug names, dosages, and usage instructions in medical and healthcare facilities, their LED indication features can further enhance operations. This includes prescription pick-up, where LED lights can indicate when prescriptions are ready for pick-up, and categorization, where healthcare professionals and consumers can immediately know the categories of medications based on LED indicators.
What are the LED indication features of Newton Labels you can take advantage of?
When it comes to digital labels, SOLUM’s Newton labels are at the forefront. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology and an advanced LED indication system, retailers can take advantage of the LED indicators to further enhance their operations.
Here are the SOLUM Newton LED indication features that can help solve inefficiencies or bottlenecks:
- 7-color light variations - SOLUM Newton labels have LED indicators capable of emitting a variation of 7 colors. It can emit Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Sky Blue, White, and Purple lights, allowing retailers more chances to improve both communication and operations within their establishments.
- Configurable system - SOLUM’s LED Indication System is configurable. This means that retailers and ESL users will be able to customize the functionalities of LED lights. These functionalities can then be integrated into their operations to improve various tasks and processes such as order picking, battery replacement, stock replenishment, marketing messages, product location, food allergy notifications, and more.
- 10-year battery life - The entire digital label has a lifespan of up to 10 years. This means more updates, more use of buttons, and more use of LED blinking lights. Retailers don’t have to worry about replacing their digital labels for a long time.
- Pick-by-Light - Workplace environments like warehouses, factories, and distribution centers can get confusing. However, SOLUM’s Pick-by-Light LED indication helps guide workers toward specific goods, materials, or products.
Newton as Your Overall Digital Label Solution
SOLUM’s Newton labels can be your overall digital label solution. This is because, apart from the LED indication system, Newton boasts all-inclusive features to make sure that every retailer is making the most of their digital labels.
Here are the other features of SOLUM Newton labels:
- 10x faster update speed
- Full Graphic E-ink Display
- Customizable design
- Up to 7 pages of information display
- Two multifunctional, programmable buttons
- Built-in protection cover
- IP67 rating for dust and water resistance
- Multiple screen size ranges
- Freezer label variation
- NFC capability for mobile or self-checkouts
- Location-based service
- AIMS label management system
- 10 years of battery life
- Wireless firmware updates
All of these digital label features work together with the LED indication features. Overall, they create a seamless digital label solution that will optimize various retail operations and business environments.
Need a digital label solution with LED indicators for your retail business or enterprise? Let SOLUM help! Talk to our experts today and get started.